Why Go on Retreat?
Why go on Retreat?
Our world is very fast-paced. Therefore, it’s important that we withdraw at times in order to unwind and refresh ourselves for the great task and mission that God has entrusted to us.
Spending time on retreat gives us the chance to get away from our hectic daily routine and, most importantly, it allows us to encounter God and rejuvenate ourselves mentally, physically, and spiritually. This setting oneself apart is crucial because everyone needs the chance to slow down and find peace. To go without this connection to God makes our life unnecessarily difficult and overwhelming. Time spent in silence, prayer, and nature helps us to process and digest the many impressions that flood us and experiences that affect us.
No time spent with God is wasted time!
Tips for a Fruitful Retreat
- Receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation.
- Fast from technology/social media.
- Keep a spiritual journal and write down your experiences and inspirations.
- Take time for meditation and spiritual reading.
- Say short prayers throughout the day in order to keep yourself connected with God.
- Meditate on the readings of the day before attending Holy Mass.
- Make every effort to bring contributions to the capital of grace for all those who are participating in the retreat with you!
If you’re attending a virtual retreat, here are some additional tips:
- Be “unavailable” at certain hours of the day or on certain days by turning off/silencing your phone.
- Pray a morning and evening prayer.
- Attend an extra Holy Mass during the week, or daily!
- Spend time in Adoration.
- Visit the shrine (physically or spiritually).